Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Zales Spoof on Leno


Zales :30 second "String" spot was spoofed on Leno last night (check it out here at the 8:48 mark). I said awesome while others feared the client would be upset. That surprised me. How could anyone be upset with free advertising? Especially a client like Zales that has so little media spend? So I gave the idea of "spoofs" some more thought. What does being spoofed say about a spot?

I think that spoofs are a definite indication that we, as advertisers, have broken away from the clutter - whether for good reasons or bad. It also means we have become a part of the conversation. Now, isn't that we strive for day in and day out? Aren't we seeking relevance?

In my humble opinion, Leno's spoof can mean nothing but good things for Zales.

What's your take on spoofs?

3 comments:

Warren said...

How does the old saying go, "imitation is the highest form of flattery"?

I agree with you Laura, I think spoofs are great. All great movies, songs, people, commercials, etc. get spoofed. It makes them more fun and I don't think it in any way hurts the brand.

Brian Stout said...

I agree. Those stupid "Head On" ads (apply directly where it hurts) were spoofed for years and the spoofs probably created more awareness than the ads themselves– as clearly, they had a very light advertising and production budget.

erin said...

Let's say SPOOF more, spoof it into a sentence, bring up spoofs in a meeting; put spoof on a brief...just kidding.

Free advertising, yes, a good thing, so tell whomever that if the client's upset, it's free. :)

I agree with Warren's comment that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :)

And for Leno, he's just making a joke at Zales' expense, bringing the romanticism down a couple notches to Middle America who probably scoff (spoof!) at such lofty love ideals as rings coming from building tops. It's funny.

Now what would be great is if your team could quickly put together a viral response online or YouTube to show you can take a joke. This would then start a conversation with pop-culture, a Zales' initiated 2-way dialogue, maybe even pit the brand against Leno.

I'm getting carried away...