Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Get to know ME!

I had my first appointment with a dermatologist yesterday. I was apprehensive going in - I don't really trust doctors. The few exchanges I've had with them have been short-winded and quick-fix minded, not too much about preventative care of lifestyle/behavior management. With the doctor yesterday, it was the same: no questions about my skin regimen, eating habits, lifestyle, general behavior, etc.

She maintained her four foot distance with a stoic, monotone presence. She told me about their "clinically tested" kit that works for all her patients and recommended an oral antibiotic; but she let me know insurance probably wouldn't pay for it and in that case, I could take the generic form that she told me would be harsher on my system. Great.

I asked her, based on what you know about me, why are you prescribing this? She re-stated her only powerful words "clinically tested." That's it? What have you done to instill trust in your clinic? What have you done to establish any kind of relationship with me? In fact, what do you even know about me?

Couple this irrational attempt at customer-service (really?) with the fact that I'm part of Gen Y, a generation that's skeptical of "institutions" and yearning for genuine connections. Just be real with us, if you're not then you won't get our dollars, attention, or advocacy.

To say the least, I was disappointed with my experience. I'm out $20 for the copay, but I feel I have a wealth of knowledge with which to discern which in-network doctor will serve my customer-service, as well as my health, needs for my next visit.

No comments: